Tuesday, May 22, 2007

3rd Bass

No, not that third base... see the previous post for more on that... hehehe... I've finally decided to do something about my playing.
I play bass guitar. A fretless 5 string of which I'm rather proud actually. (I had it built and had to go through the whole process of chosing designs, and woods and so on, but that's another post.) I've been playing now for probably close to 20 years, and whilst I've taken some lessons, I'm largely self taught.

But there's the problem. For the last few years I've had no one to challange me, or my playing. Not a bass level, anyway. (Muscially in general, yes - most certainly). And, with no-one really pushing, there's been a slow degredation in my playing. Its been frustrating having playing ideas, and not pulling them off, or continually making tiny little errors, that admitadly no-one else notices (or too few to make a real difference), but errors all the same.

So, I've decided to do something about it.

Click the post title to continue reading... The something is the AMEB CPM Bass Level 3.[1]

There are only 4 levels, and they're supposed to get you to a sufficient quality of playing that you could apply for university studies. Not that I want to go that far, but its something to aim for. I had a look at the different curricula[2], and thought I could probably do Level 1 now, Level 2 with a bit of work, Level 3 with much more, and Level 4 was probably too much of a stretch. Level 3 thus seemed just enough out of reach to be worth going for.

As with most AMEB exams, it involves an insance number of scales and arpeggios[3], some in 2 different fingerings, in all keys, over 2 octaves (which is pretty much all you get on a standard bass). Then there's 5 pieces to prepare - 2 from their list, plus 3 free choice - at least 3 of which need to be peformed with live musicians at the exam. Add on soloing and walking bass lines, aural skills, reading, and general knowledge, and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

I've been at it now for about 3 weeks, and have the majors and harmonic minors down, and starting the melodic minors. I've also been looking at the walking, and some of the tunes. There's a lot to learn, but its fun!

And the best bit is that in these last few weeks, I've really seen a change in my playing; or at least my attitude to playing. Just doing those scales I now seem to have more options under my fingers than I did previously. The fret board is starting to open up its secrets, and the excitement is coming back.




[1] That's the Australian Board of Music Contemporary and Popular Music Bass Level 3 exam.

[2]Overview cirrcula available at CPMBass.01.pdf

[3] Major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, major and minor pentatonic, blues, chromatic scales. Major, minor, major 7th, dominant and minor 7th arpeggios. All at 208.

0 comments: