Monday, November 08, 2004

Romans 8:28

Bible Gateway: ROM 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV)

This is one of the (far too few) verses I have memorised. (Well, ok, almost memorised. It's certianly one I know, but I'm never too sure of the reference.)

One of the things that I find really important about this verse is NOT

  • that God works everything for good; or
  • that God works in all things.

No, the point for me is those 4 little words: "those who love him."

God is a jealous God. He want's our love, and will continuously work to get it. This is not only an interpretation of difficult times for those that love God, but also for difficult times for those that don't know God, or have chosen not to love him. The rain falls on the godly and wicked alike. We who love God know all is, and will be, turned for our good, as God is at work. Those that don't know Him, cannot be so assured. Praise God He is at work!

A question: does God take rest, even now? He instructs us to do so in the Sabbath (originally Saturday, now Sunday); God is a god who leads by example. Does He take rest? Is His work continuous work?

I don't have any highly thought out answer here. I do know that God's work, and the repercussions of God's work, affect my life more than I know or appreciate. God is still working in me (there's a lot of work to do, let me tell you!). God also lets me rest from His work in me, because He loves me. He doesn't want to tire me out, get me frustrated (or get Himself frustrated?!). His love is everlasting, even when I don't respond, and especially when I love him and when we work things together for His good, which is my good.

TC&GB,

pk


0 comments: