Thursday, March 23, 2006

Eat Less, Do More

There is no way you could call me a health nut. I love coffee and chocolate way too much be called health conscious! And I don't think I've ever lasted more than an hour on any diet known to man.

I was reading today that the latest craziness in diets might not actually be good for you. Low-carb diets can be unhealthy, and, The 'Glycemic index' is questionable as a diet tool. (Thereby making low-GI diets questionable). It seems that the only "breakthroughs" made in the world of dietary science requires complex counting, careful (some might say laborious) food selection, restriction of something that you probably enjoy, and may even be dangerous!

With all that said, I've managed to lose about 10 kgs (20-25 lbs) in the last 6 months. Along with eating healthily, there is only one rule I go by:
Eat Less.
Do More.

Hardly rocket science, is it? But for some reason, simple, straight forward, easy solutions aren't really in fashion. The more complicated you make things, the better the diet is...
Bolderdash, I say.

Eating healthily is key, of course. Fruit, vegetables, grains, fish, a little meat. A little bit of everything actually. But I still enjoy chocolate, and I still get the day started with fresh coffee (preferably straight into the blood stream, but drinking it is more pleasurable!). Keep it simple. Eat less. Do more. Just walking from the bus to the office a few times a week (its about 20-30 minutes one way) is all its taken. Allow yourself to indulge. Just keep it in check.

Does it mean I'm hungry sometimes - why yes, it does! Is this a bad thing? Why no, I don't think it is. You know, after a while, your body adjusts.

I could make a lot of this, and use the analogy for all sorts of things. Prayer comes to mind. Act less. Pray more. Then surely all my works will be more in line with acts of God. But I'll resist the temptation to make this yet another religious, philosophical diatribe.

Eat Less. Do More. Its the only sure fire way I know to become healthier.

0 comments: