Thursday, August 18, 2005

Looking backwards, looking forward...

Paul Simon again provides inspiration for a post...

Yesterday it was my birthday.
I hung one more year on the line.
Well, not really. It was the day before yesterday. I meant to post this yesterday, but was just too lazy!

I should be depressed, my life's a mess
Again, no, not really. My life is certainly not a mess, in fact, it could be said that it's looking up, professionally and spiritually.

But I'm having a good time
I'm constantly amazed that these two can be divorced! Am I having a good time? hmmm. On the most part yes...

Click the post title to continue reading why...Why isn't my life a mess? I can think of a number of reasons:

  • I'm finally leaving my current job.
    Over the 20 or so months I've spent here, I've seen and experienced some rather dodgy practices. Like changing dates on transactions in order to maximise tax benefits. It could be legal, it could not be. Either way, I'm not prepared to live in the gray.

  • My next job will not only be a relief financially, but also a step up in responsibility. Actually, it's pretty much everything I wanted in a new job. Interesting technical challanges, $$$, Team Leadership, less hours (I currently get paid for about 85% of what I work now). It's a small company, which is a bummer, but at least they are not under investement funding - which is a real bonus!

  • Life with two kids is a challange.
    You kind of expect your life to change when you go from being a couple to having one child. Nobody tells you that going from one to two is just as big a change! Zoe is 10 weeks old today. Everyday I thank God that we've got her this far, and indeed she seems to be growing and changing. Her smile is just wonderful! Her big bro is wonderfully loving with her, although at three he thinks he can do more than he can really safely do, resulting in frustration all round! A challange, but not one I'd pass up any day.

  • God is moving!
    Oh, yes. Definately yes. I'll post more about this later, but needless to say that He is definately speaking into my life right now, and its not the usual (or expected), "You have to clean this up!" It's love, and overwhelming grace.
I'm definately having a good time! The only thing missing is my development as a musician. Its frustrating, that I can't seem to devote time even to practice. Perhaps, when things have settled a bit with the new job, and the kids, I'll see more of the way forward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear how you're doing! Glad to hear you're enjoying your kids.

Love,
Troy

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil

Happy birthday! The years do seem to fly by quite quickly I find.

Kids are amazing. We only have one (so far) but I am finding that it is so rewarding (in spite of the challenges). Interesting to hear your perspective on having two - most people have said it gets easier with two. Thanks for the insight.

Congrats on the job move too. That will certainly shift your outlook on life. It is great to get home and not carry work-related stress with you.

I understand your frustration with not doing musician stuff. I too would love to have more time to play and improve my skills - but after work and family time there aren't many spare minutes in the day.

Anyway, I still love listening to whatever I can get my hands on, and Paul Simon is a bit of a regular in that regard.

All the best - keep up the blog. It is good to hear how you are doing.

Allan

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.