Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Music In My Head

I’ve just realized that something I do may not be all that normal… (OK, so maybe its not just the one thing. Please, no snide remarks!)

It’s very natural for me to sing my way through a day. A song gets stuck in my head, or perhaps snippets of a song. A couple of lines, the chorus, part of a verse that leads into it, the bridge perhaps. Often I really only know that section well enough to be comfortably assured I’ve got it right. Or it might be new lyrics I’m toying with, trying to mould them into some kind of basis for a song. Under my breath, whilst I’m doing something else or trying to concentrate on something more dutiful, there, in the back of my mind, a song keeps repeating, like a needle jumping on an old 33.

At the moment, its John Mayer’s "Daughters":

Fathers be good to your daughters
They learn to love like you do
Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

Beautiful, concise and meaningful. As we move towards our second child, I wonder whether I’ll need to take this to heart.

4 comments:

Wulf said...

Hey mate!

I was trying to find your email address - the blog of mine that you link to still runs but the one that is probably more interesting (thoughts and reflections rather than the music running past my ears) is Down in the Den.

Cheers,

Wulf

philxan said...

Hey Wulf! (Nice to know somebody is reading the blog ;-) I've updated the template.

pk

Chris Kan said...

Hi Phil
I read it too!
You might to link to my two sites too..
transfigurationcommunity.blogspot.com

and

weeklyreading.blospot.com - which thge discussion site we've just set up.

Bless ya man

Big Bro Chris

philxan said...

Hey Chris!

Thanks for reading. Do you remember Ma Brun? I thought you'd like that one. What a guy, eh?

I've updated the template to include your two blogs, but Weekly Reading seems to have disappeared. I was about to comment too - an interesting topic that required a little thought.

Hope all is well. Blessings, pk