Monday, January 10, 2005

Resolutions

So, lets start 2005 in the traditional sense: New Year's Resolutions.

Now I've never really been big on resolutions, per se. I've tried the standard "I will do this!", "I won't do that!", but it was never inspiring enough to hold, and led to the inevitable discontent with my own will. I don't think it works for most people. In fact, I suspect it works for very few.

Mostly I believe this is due to the "will" or the "won't". They are so vague, and do nothing to empower the resolve within you. There is no plan of action. The bad of the "won't" is not replaced by a positive alternative. The good of the "will" is susposed to be it's own reward. I think we need something more. I know I need something more.

So I've turned to goals. These are not resolutions, but rather definable, measurable, and hopefully achievable targets for the coming twleve months. Last year I achieved but one of the list I made, and I've learnt a lot from the experience. Accountability is a wonderful thing. Understanding my own limitations, and what reasonable expectations are, is another. Managing time, including time for relaxation, is important.

At first these were "achievement" goals: What do I want to do? What do I want to achieve? This year though I'm broadening the scope. The goals are not only what I want to achieve; they include the consideriation of what is good for me, what is helpful, wise, and fair (Titus 1:8-9).

  • The Twelves:
    • Read 12 books (1 per month, on average)
    • Write 12 songs & 12 short stories
    • Learn 12 verses of scripture. Really learn them - word for word in the most hepful translation (Message, NIV or New Jerusalem by default), including reference
  • Pray daily
  • Get out of debt
  • Maintain accountability
  • Lead and / or write a study for home group
  • Take time to practice and develop my musical gifts, including taking bass lessons again
It is not a big list, and there are others I'm not posting here. They are in no particular order; certainly not in order of priority! It covers personal development in mind, spirit and creativity (yes, the body is lacking!), as well as time out to enjoy myself: something I've really lacked this year, I think. Over the years I'm sure it will grow to a more holostic approach, encompasing all that I want to become, and all that God calls me to be. Jonothon Edwards' Seventy Resolutions makes for sober reflection.

As goals, they are things to work towards, rather than iron rules that require an iron will. They will take time, and a certain amount of intention, but I guess that's the point, really.

pk

0 comments: