Wednesday, December 08, 2004

My Favourite Book

I'm not actually going to discuss my favourite book, although it happens to Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. (My brother gave me it for a birthday back in high school. I don't think he realises just how good a choice it was.)

No, this blog entry is more about the annual vote and tally that the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC: one of the 5 TV channels we have here) does. They put on good show really, counting down the top 10, and building the suspense to the top 3. Here is the site with more info. (For the top 100, go to the top 10, and then select the Top 100 link. Why do they make these things so hard!?) For the lazy among you:

  1. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
  2. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin
  3. The Bible
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  5. Cloundstreet - Tim Winton
  6. Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix (book 5) - J.K. Rowling
  7. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
  8. The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - Douglass Adams
  9. Tied:
    • Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    • The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  10. A Fortunate Life - A.B. Facey
I've read a few of these (#'s 1, 3 & 8), don't think I'll ever read a few (#'s 5, 6, & 9b), and the rest I'd like to read. As usual, its a matter of time!

TC&GB, pk

0 comments: